|Name __________________________ Engine # __________
Disassembly sheet for small engines.
Engine Make _____________________
Model # _________________
Serial # _____________________
As you take engine apart be sure and keep track of al parts including bolts, nuts, washers, wires and springs!!!
1. Remove all gasoline from engine _________
2. Remove spark plug and check gap, what is the recorded gap?? ________ What is it supposed to be? ________
3. Check engine for compression PSI reading ________
4. Check for Spark Yes _______ No _______
5. Drain oil from crankcase. _Book #________________
6. Clean off exterior of engine..
7. Remove rewind and any heat shrouds on engine , Sketch how shroud goes on.
8. Draw and sketch any carburetor linkage on back of paper #2, remove carburetor from engine. Book # _______
9. Remove governor air van linkage, or mechanical linkage from engine. Book #_____ Sketch a picture of what the linkage looks like on back of sheet #2
10. Remove muffler, if you can Book #____________
11. Remove valve cover Book #___________
12. Remove spark plug and check gap. Book # ___________
13. Remove cylinder head and gasket. _________
14. Measure and record bore and stroke.Measured Bore _____ Measured stroke ________ Book Bore ______ book Stroke ____
15. Calculate engine Displacement ______
16. Check and record valve clearance. Intake clearance________ Exhaust clearance ____Book Clearance for Intake ______ Book clearance for exhaust ______.
List the steps for checking valve clearance below.
17. Record armature air gap. Page # _______ Measured gap_____ Book Gap _______
18. Remove starter clutch or flywheel nut. Page # _____
19. Remove flywheel, what is the flywheel puller #? Page Number _____ Part # ______
20. Remove breaker point ignition cover if equipped, Check condenser gap _______
21. Remove condenser cam and plunger if equipped.
22. Remove magneto assemble CAREFUL these wires are gentle. Page # ________
23. Remove all rust and burrs from end of crankshaft with some sand paper.
24. Remove crankcase cover. Page #_________
25. Check timing marks. Page #_________
26. Remove camshaft oil slinger and tappets.
27. Measure camshaft lobes and seats.
Cam lobe measurements ________ _________ Book says ______
Seat measurements _______ ________ book says ______
28. Remove rod end cap, MARK WITH A PIECE OF TAPE HOW IT GOES ON!! Page #_______
29. Remove piston from cylinder check the following.
Ring land wear. Oil ____ Wiper ____ compression ____ Book says ______ Page # ___
30. Remove rings from piston and measure the following.
Ring end gaps- Oil ____ Wiper _____ Compression ____ Book says. __ Page #
Cylinder Taper ________ Book says ________
Cylinder out of round __________ Book says ________ Page # _________
31. Remove crankshaft and measure the following.
PTO Journal _______ Crank pin Journal_______ Magneto Journal ______
Book says __________ __________ _______
32. Remove valves and springs. __________
Exhaust stem Diameter. ______ Intake stem Diameter _____
Valve margin Exhaust _______ Intake _________ valve face-Exhaust___ Intake ___
33. Remove Piston pin and measure Diameter. ____ Book Says____ Page # ____
35. Clean all parts with parts washer.
1. Check valves and seats, clean off excess carbon.
2. Install valves, oil valve stems lightly.
3. Test with water, Leak _____ No Leak _______ Dry engine completely when finished.
4. Install crankshaft oil all three journals.
5. Reinstall rings and piston pin. Page #________
6. Oil cylinder walls and install piston and rod assembly facing the correct direction. Page # ______
7. Torque connecting rod down to correct torque, bend down any retainer flips.. Torque spec.._______
8. Install tappets and camshaft and oil slinger aligning timing marks.
9. Line up mechanical governor correctly. Page #_______
10. Install crankcase gasket, if none is present put a thin layer of silicone down. Only install 2 bolts and check crankshaft endplay adjust with cardboard spacers if needed. If acceptable install remaining bolts.
Torque specs ________ end play measured _______ Bookend play ______ Page # ___
11. Install valve cover with gasket, if you have no gasket a light bead of silicone will do.
12. Install head and gasket, torque down to correct specs. Torque specs ______
13. Reinstall ignition system, (breaker point if equipped. ) set to correct gap.
14. Install flywheel key and flywheel, torque to correct specs. Torque specs ______
15. Reinstall armature, and set to correct gap. What is correct gap?____
16. Reconnect carburetor and any governor linkages Install muffler and any air baffles, install blower housing.
17. Install fuel lines, fill with oil, How much oil is acceptable _____ Page # ___
18. Check compression and spark, Compression ____ spark ______
19. Start engine mount down to engine mount. Run date ______________